Subject: [Leica] Family Photos
From: cochranpr at mac.com (David Cochran)
Date: Mon Jan 9 16:00:19 2006

Hello Richard.

I looked at your photos with great interest. One reason being how we
resolve the issues of low lighting in houses, restaurants, etc with
400ASA film. The second, getting to know these people.
Your photos show the "struggle" to get the exposure right. In my
experience with one hour photo labs I find that the technician always
goes for having everything in the "light". Sometimes is frustrating
because I may want to have highlights with deep shadows and the guy
gives me a gray piece of paper with a lot of grain.

I feel all your pictures can benefit from bringing down the grays and
deepening the blacks. The highs are going to stick so don't be too
afraid to bring the rest down.

On the second part, I find the older man sitting perpendicular to the
camera, this one http://gallery.leica-users.org/NYC/3_07_0043_web
to be the one with more naturality and the one that makes me ask who is
this man. His other picture with his hand on his cheek, i would have
asked him to switch to the other hand and cheeck so I could see the
smile.
Of the younger couple, it is interesting how the girl is pulling away
from the huge guy :-).
I bet you have a bunch of prints with gray and grain that you don't
want to show from that shoot but, hey, you have 2 or 3 that are worth
your while.

peace

David