Subject: [Leica] Leica R8 Focusing screens in the Canon 5D
From: cummer at netvigator.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Sat Jan 7 00:24:01 2006

Dear Luggers,
While saving up enough money for a Leica digital back I am using a
Canon 5D with an adapter to exercise my Leica R lenses. Today while
fooling around with my recently purchased Brightscreen p235d focusing
screen, I have discovered that Leica R 8 screens will fit (snugly)
into the 5D - the tabs are all in the right places and the screen is
the exact dimension of the Canon 5D screen. It is a tight enough fit
that when you drop the screen holder down to release the screen - it
will stay in place. don't panic - blow some air on it and it will
dislodge. Trying my two R 8 screens (the standard with focusing
rangefinder and micro prism) and #14345 (Micro prism circle) I have
concluded that my 5D front focuses when manually focussed and that I
just don't see it on the standard Canon screen when using the lens in
auto focus mode. I will take the month old body back to Canon and see
if I can get them to adjust it with my Canon EOS 50 f1.4 and the
standard Canon screen. I am returning the p235d Brightscreen (the
view finder is too busy for my taste with the diagonal rangefinder
and the micro prism circle ) and exchanging it for a p232 (micro
prism circle only). By the time I get it I hope to have had the
camera adjusted.
Cheers,
Howard (in Hong Kong)

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Leica R8 Focusing screens in the Canon 5D)