Subject: [Leica] surgery
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Thu Jan 5 13:03:14 2006

Knees are a bit different from hips in terms of longevity - there's a
twist that happens and something about the sliding motion of the joint
that causes the poly sliding surfaces to wear which later causes
little particles to float around in the fluid which causes
inflammation and then the adhesive between the metal joint and the
bone begins to come part and it's time to get it re-done.

I have talked with 10 people who have knee replacements - but none
have been done for longer than 8 years, most only five, so who knows
how the new stuff is going to perform.

Still, I'm thrilled for your dad. Those ball and socket joints are
clearly the best kind to replace.

Adam