Subject: [Leica] surgery
From: kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier)
Date: Wed Jan 4 18:25:35 2006

On Jan 4, 2006, at 6:45 PM, leo wrote:

> Any words of advice for my first shoot in the OR?

Leo, I'll echo Ted's rule #1....don't touch anything!   Years ago, in
another incarnation, I worked as Director of Materials Management for
a large medical center in Alabama,  Part of my job was responsibility
for purchasing all supplies and equipment, including all OR gear....
instruments, linens (we used real cloth drapes and packs), gloves,
etc.  One day, one of the scrub nurses came rushing down the hall to
my office, burst in and said, with a dire look on her face, "Dr. So-
and-so wants you, stat, in the OR."  I went, stat, got to the OR, and
heard him yelling outside the OR suite:  "&*))((#@$@!" in a deep
South Alabama accent.  I got to the door pushed it open and stuck my
head in, ungowned and ungloved.  He yelled at me to get my ____ in
there, and I told him couldn't come in, I hadn't scrubbed and
gowned.  He started yelling louder that if I didn't get my ____ in
there, he was going to see to it that I got fired.  I went in just
inside the door.  He told me he meant over to where he was, by the
operating table, with the patient lying there, opened up.  So, I did,
and he took off his gloves, standing over the patient, threw them at
me and told me to look at his hands.  He was allergic to latex and
the nurses had set up the wrong pack for him, and he had broken out
all the way up to his elbows.  The nurses were aghast and tried to
cover the field with clean sheets.  I beat a swift retreat, and still
never touched anything!  The gloves he threw at me I left lying on
the floor.

Rule:  NEVER TOUCH ANYTHING, even if you're being yelled at.  :-)

Peace, and enjoy the experience.

Ken
The Rev. Kenneth Frazier
Connecticut Conference, United Church of Christ
Current Leica Photography (PAW):
http://tinyurl.com/6sc2r

Current Medium Format Photos:
http://tinyurl.com/bjvfn