Subject: [Leica] surgery
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Jan 4 16:53:38 2006

leo asked:
>>> Any words of advice for my first shoot in the OR?  Lenses?  Moments?<<<

Leo, quite simple really.
And without knowing what kind of procedure you'll be covering it's rather a
shot gun of things.

However, not to worry as the head nurse during the operation will certainly
give you a run down and she wont be the least bit funny about it, you being
a first timer and photographer! Be nice, just don't piss her off or you are
out the door!

1/ Don't touch anything nor anyone! Don't go towards the operating table.
Period! Unless the surgeon asks you to do so. Even then be extremely careful
how close you get and how close you are to everything surrounding the
patient and table. Actually stay away from this area completely!
If you want pictures reach in with a longer lens, particularly this is your
first time.

2/ Before you move in any direction, as simple as you may think the move
is.... look 360 degrees around before you move to make sure you are clear to
move. And know exactly where you are going ... "do not touch anything!" Move
carefully. Don't be looking one way and walking another.

3/ If you feel faint leave the room immediately!!!!!! And sit down out in
the hall head between your legs until you feel OK. Faint in the OR and
you'll piss everybody off, they'll leave you on the floor until they're
finished because they have more important things to look after than an
unconscious stupid photographer who didn't have the brains to leave the room
first! No mercy shown here, just get out in the hall.

4/ Again without knowing what camera/lenses you have I can only give you
this.
The widest 15/21 to at least a 200! Lots of film. I never use flash so I
can't give you any advice in this case if you feel you need it. However in
40 plus years shooting under all kinds of OR lighting situations about the
world I've never used flash for color or B&W.  My bet? Leave it out in the
hall and forget it. Shoot it all by the light of the room, far less
distracting and simple to do. ASA 800 and you should be laughing all the way
to the darkroom!

And for heaven sake don't get all hung-up on the light, if your using a
Leica, particularly an M7 just put it at ASA 800 and AE lock then shoot away
with an aperture of 4.0 or 5.6 and let the camera do it's thing.

5/ "Moments?" Well not knowing what your doing in there, as in what
operation, I can't be very helpful. However, I assume you're a skilled
photographer or

A/ you wouldn't be in there in the first place. That's the surgeon's call.

B/ If you are, you'll react accordingly to motivating moments that catch
your eye. Can't understand what else you'd need but your own visual
re-action to the action. Something turns on your visual switch, shoot! it's
that simple........

JUST DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!

Lastly. Buy one of my books about the medical profession and 30 seconds
you'll see what to and how to shoot it! ;-)

Your welcome. :-)

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road