Subject: [Leica] still more on Leica "rumor" and NYT
From: wooderson at gmail.com (Matt Powell)
Date: Wed Jan 4 12:16:59 2006

On 1/4/06, mcyclwritr@comcast.net <mcyclwritr@comcast.net> wrote:
> This exactly the sort of NYT apologist retort I anticipated. That's why my
> original post >included a whiff of Basic Reporting 101, which,
> predictably, is missing from your reply.
>
> How do you know what the "mining company told family members and others?"
> Was it >broadcast on TV?

Oh, dear, I'm an apologist!

But yes, every other source I've seen followed the same basic outline
- if you look at the CNN story, it refers to how the survivor rumors
got started and the miners' families getting physically angry at the
mining company, who had led them on (presumably by accident).

I was unaware that NYT reporters were required to be omniscient,
rather than simply using what information appeared to be credible at
the time.
--
Matt Powell
wooderson@gmail.com