Subject: [Leica] Re: tri-x and microdol-x
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed Jan 4 07:04:32 2006

Phil,

I never was a fan of grain etching solvent developers like Microdol.
When people mention Microdol, I cringe. But different people master
different film/developer combinations, with great results.

I've always leaned toward high acutance developers, like Rodinal, or the
king of compromise, D76 (which is more solvent type at full strength and
more of an acutance developer diluted).

Every film developer combination is different, and most require a
different workflow. IME a properly developed TMY neg will look thin,
compared to a properly developed TX neg. I think the reputation for
blown highlights in TMY is because people tried to develop TMY to the
same densities as TX. They wanted TMY negs to look like TX negs on the
light board. IMO, a good TMY neg looks underdeveloped compared to Tri-X.

For me using TMY was like using an M. I didn't like it at first. I had
problems. There was a learning curve. But I eventually learned to love
it. In fact, it's a great film rated at 800.

I used to know TMY well. Unfortunately, I haven't been shooting film and
I've lost my edge. Tri-X is easier to use than TMY. But then so is
shooting digital and doing bw conversions.

The old advice that a person should use one film/developer and get to
know it well still rings true today. I've concluded that there aren't
enough hours in the day to master several films...and developers....in
addition to digital. Heck, learning how to scan one type of film well
takes more time that I seem to have these days!

BTW, you have some nice images on your web site.

DaveR