Subject: [Leica] Our Lady of Guadaloupe
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Jan 2 16:08:51 2006

Tina Manley offered:
> When the project director tried to get permission for me to photograph at
> the hospital where the baby will be born, the publicity director of the
> hospital said she would have to be present any time I was there taking
> photographs.  She will be out of town the week the baby is due to be born.
> Her solution?  "Well, I guess if the family is there, you could hand your
> camera to them and let them take the photos"  AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!<<<<<<

Tina,
Here's the route on this one!

First of all, you are a professional not a weekend warrior and it may have
been her assumption you are a happy snapper doing this for the fun of it.

Given your reputation as a photojournalist who's been shooting for so many
years around the world on humanitarian projects I'd make an appointment to
see this "over educated moron " for a discussion about shooting the birth
and not have anyone else present your case. Just you and her, nice chat kind
of thing.

In hand a copy of your career along with any letters of recommendations from
your medical colleagues you've travelled and worked with. Also a letter from
the "Mother to be's" doctor advising he wishes to have you there at the
time.

And if she doesn't see the error of her ways very quickly, "Damn I hate
these bloody over officious sons-of B....!!! Like what the hell does she
think you're going to do, steal the child? Sell pictures on the web? If you
have any birthing stuff I'd take it along. NO NO..Naw a waste of time, she
sounds like she's too stupid to understand good photography anyway.

Now the next move if she doesn't change her mind, oh one thing while I think
of it.... "What happens if she drops dead?" Like who is next in charge if
she's away as these people all have extra guns to do the dirty work anyway.
So why can't she assign this birthing to one of her dummies?

Now no success with her? You make an appointment with the CEO of the
hospital and if you have any doctor friends who know he or she get them to
make a call about who you are before the appointment.

Then go for the jugular in the importance to the community about this
project and how well cared she'll be under the supervision in the XYZ
hospital.. Excellent publicity for the hospital, hell how can they lose?To
bad this stupid broad can't see the advantages to her publicity image. I bet
she has absolutely no idea who you are or what your credentials are, that's
why it's so important you stick them in her face!

I'd not let this bitch off the hook! Sorry about the cussing but these are
the worst kind of people to have as "publicity directors!" Trust me I've had
my share with the idiots while shooting my medical work this past number
years, but it's surprising how quickly they change their tone when the head
honcho say's... "it's cool!" ;-)

Good luck me dear.

> Even though I like seeing my photos hanging in galleries, I think I'm
> going to give up on the artsy fartsy crowd from now on.  :-(<<

Hey I'm the wrong guy to get into a conversation about this group of "over
educated lofty look at me kind of twits!" ;-)

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road
Victoria BC  V8N 2A4
Canada
250-477-2156

Message from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Our Lady of Guadaloupe)
Message from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Our Lady of Guadaloupe)
Message from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) ([Leica] Our Lady of Guadaloupe)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Our Lady of Guadaloupe)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Our Lady of Guadaloupe)