Subject: [Leica] Japanese paper reports Canon to take over Leica
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Sun Jan 1 10:02:40 2006

feli wrote:
> It's a prestige brand. It's not uncommon for huge companies
> to buy a  company like Leica, just to own it.

My experience with working with Canon and Sony is that these
two companies are extremely proud (to a fault) of their products
and tradition, and that while they readily admire those worthy
competitors, the thought that they would buy a company as a prestige
name brand to somehow lend an air of quality to their product line
would certainly be insulting to their deeply felt corporate culture.

I would interpret any symbolic gesture as "Look at Leica that once
was so great, now has to come to us to even survive.  We are the
truly great one !"

But, as said before, so far this is just a rumor.

- Phong