Subject: [Leica] Japanese paper reports Canon to take over Leica
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat Dec 31 20:41:19 2005

Doug,
I don't think that would be the case.  The film based business has but a few
years left for new production anyway.  I suspect that film based production
will continue for sufficient time that anyone could get what they want.  Any
losses from Leica are pathetically small for a conglomerate like Canon.  I
suspect that Canon is buying into the rangefinder business.  Also, it can
not have been unknown to Canon that many people were willing to manual focus
other lenses on their bodies.  Last, Leica lenses are for the most part the
best in the business.  For Canon to drive the final nail in Konica-Minolta
and Olympus then this is another front.

Also, doesn't it seem strange that Leica is pretty sure that the digital M
will be out roughly September 2006 when the DMR was what, 6-8 months late
shipping?

Last, Hasselblad is a decent example that new ownership will not kill off
the film cameras.  Film bodies were available until sales rates were in the
low single digits.  Heck, if you really wanted a film Hasselblad I bet you
could get anything in the line.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com