Subject: [Leica] Rei and Amatuer Astronomy
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Dec 27 16:50:06 2005

Rei

Your experiences are hardly unique.  All of us who view the skies have gone
through this and have had to work for years to obtain the skills necessary
to allow for clean use of telescopes.

First, learn the skies.  Learn just where the various stars are and note
the cycle of the year.  Note the passage of the planets and that of the
moon.

Next, pick up a pair of GOOD binoculars -- I have a slew but my normal ones
are a pair of 10x, 40mm Docter Optic ASPH glasses.  Learn your way around.
Get a decent guide.  There are a slew of these, though that old Putnam
FIELD GUIDE TO THE SKIES is arguably the best for general use, though it
has been out of print since that fire in the 1950's.  Learn what you are
looking at and learn how to look at what you are looking at.  It is a
tricky art but practice, as they say, makes perfect.

A telescope is even harder to use, as the images are small, vague, and
fleeting, even with a clock drive.  You have to learn to look for
subtilities and not for harsh contrasts.  Mars and Jupiter and Venus are
the most observable of planets but all are elusive and challenging and
honestly require a lot of practice before the observer becomes THE OBSERVER.

I have a friend who invests huge time on salamanders and can spot a new
subspecies without a problem.  I asked him some years back how he was able
to do this merely on the basis of rather indistinct differences in
coloration, and he simply laughed and reminded me that there is only ONE
way to get to Carnegie Hall, and that is, practice, practice, practice.
This also applies to star-gazing.  It doesn't come easy and it doesn't come
cheap, but the rewards are immense.

The man whose efforts led to the creation of American-Optical/Spencer was a
fellow named Brashears.  He was a steelworker who loved the stars and spent
his evenings grinding mirrors and lenses so that he could watch more
closely the skies.  In the end, he founded his own optical shop and made a
thousand grand telescopes, the most magnificent of them being the Thayer
refractor at the Allegheny Observatory in Pittsburgh.  He and his wife have
their ashes interred at the base of the Thayer refractor and the epitaph is
timeless:  "for they have loved the stars too dearly to be afraid of the
night".

It takes years to do right, but the results will last a lifetime.  As with
darkroom practice, ability and spirit are neat, but only a lot of
experience brings everyting to a state of accomplishment.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505