Subject: [Leica] OT or not: dilemma
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Sat Dec 17 12:26:30 2005

Might just well depend on what you're shooting and why.  For family
snaps of the rug rats, I often use my digital camera. I also use a digital
camera tethered to a computer with studio lights for "instant polaroids"
of every shot.

But if I wander into the alley ways for "peeling paint" kinds of pictures,
or hit the fish market for "street shooting", I take my Leica's or my
FM3a - film cameras - loaded up with B&W film. I'm no expert, but
it better helps me get "the look" I hope to achieve.  I'm happy to leave
the "indeterminacy" of automated focus and exposure, white balance
issues and the like far far behind me.  All the control is in my hands -
with (technical) success and failure squarely my own responsibility. I
also like having negs in binders around for the future.

I've also been thinking for quite some time of getting  a MF setup.
I've been balking at the cost of pricey MF dedicated film scanners,
but hopefully in the spring I'll pick up a used 'blad or RZ67.

And yes, I also hope to replace my D70 with a D200 for the AI
lens support and a VF suitable for manual focus.

Not a nostalgia issue for me. I've only been shooting in any hobbyist
volume for the last couple of years.

Scott