Subject: [Leica] Aaron's PAW 50: Concentration
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Dec 15 21:47:16 2005

Aaron Sandler showed:
>> Even with the dynamic range of trusty old film run through my Leica, I
>> had
> no choice but to let the highlights go in order to catch the expression of
> concentration that is my PAW this week:
> http://www.duke.edu/~ajs2/PAW/2005_50/index.html<<<<

Aaron,
Sorry mate, this is one of those shots that your eye sees it better than on
the screen or a sheet of photo paper!  Certainly without a considerable
amount of darkroom burning and dodging. Unfortunately the blown highlights
just don't wash, period! There are no excuses, like show no mercy, take no
prisoners, the blown highlights kill this completely. Yeah I know, but life
is cruel!

Also, no matter how good you believe the concentration looks, it's only a
"one eyed concentration!!"

Another no no.... To make this shot really work you need to see both eyes
cleanly! As soon as you saw the concentration you should have squeezed to
your right clearly showing both eyes and not the Doc's right eye cut in half
by a piece of gear.

May I suggest going to the library or a book store and look for my books,
"Doctor's Work. The Legacy of Sir William Osler." and "Women in Medicine. A
Celebration of their Work." Or if you can find it used, a beautiful B&W big
coffee table size first edition, "This is Our Work. The Legacy of Sir
William Osler."

Three of the best books, on this point "I'm not the least bit humble" Best
books for photographers to learn how to shoot in the medical scene. Period.
All done with Leica's and available light wherever the pictures were taken.

You'll find examples of almost identical situations as yours, but with clean
and dramatic eyes. Actually you'll find all kinds of dramatic photographs
that will help you get it right on the mark the next time you come across a
fine medical opportunity as you had here.  And many other real life moments.

And making excuses like.. >>I had no choice but to let the highlights go in
order to catch the expression of concentration that is my PAW this week:
> http://www.duke.edu/~ajs2/PAW/2005_50/index.html<<<<

Yep there was a choice, if it doesn't cut it cleanly, don't post it. Or if
you like.... "If in doubt.... OUT!!"  Particularly when we as viewers are
accustomed to fine photography from you in the past.

Look for the books! Quite frankly if you want to learn how to see light,
eyes and action on the real firing line of life you wont get any better than
in these books!

Nothing personal son, all in a good cause to help make you a better
photographer.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road