Subject: [Leica] Was Sign of the times..First impressions Tokina 12-24.
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Thu Dec 15 01:13:10 2005

HelloDavid,
Of course this is nothing to do with Leica, unless I say it's Leica's
fault for being so slow on the uptake that I (and many others) now have
a Canon 20D or similar. Anyway for lack of a "real" wide-angle lens for
it ( until now the Super-Angulon 4/21 had to suffice) I took a look at
some of the offerings in the range starting at 10 to 12mm. After sifting
through advertising blurb and what may, or may not, have been
independent tests I ended up with a lens with much praised excellent
quality at a comparitively reasonable price (just below 450 euros incl.
16% tax and delivery to my door).
A Tokina AT-X  12-24 f4 Aspherical (IF) Pro DX AF : In spite of all the
letters and numbers, it's a straight forward WA-zoom made in Canon and
Nikon mount (there may be other mounts , I didn't bother looking).
Tokina say it was developed solely for APS-C sensors and that it won't
be much use on film SLRs, although it will fit (Canon EF-S lenses don't).
Opening the box is a surprise - The quality of the lens at a first
glance is something I haven't seen for a while, and, second surprise,
the shade on the end is not an optional (Canon's word for expensive)
extra.Taking it out reveals a nice , chunky very robust feel - in looks
it is vaguely reminiscent of  the finish of Novoflex, Kilfitt and Co.
Heavy duty grippy rubber rings, a smooth motion with no obvious play
(still new, we shall see) and what appears to be crackle finish
metal bodywork, though I'm assured it's polyacrylate it just doesn't
look or feel like plastic.The big end has a 77mm filter thread (non
rotating) and one of those
colossal shades that look like a minimalists idea of a water-lily. Back
to the camera end, surprise number 3, a very nicely machined metal
mount. The lens is, of course, AF but look in vain for the MF/AF slider
or switch, Tokina has built the clutch into the focussing ring, just
pull it back and you can focus manually.
AF focussing noise is typical, but a lower frequency than Canon lenses
(eg EF 28-135 IS), and very fast, much less than a second for 30cm to
infinity.
A first couple of "point and shoot just to see if it works" shots in the
garden against the light showed 1) no flare 2) by heck! it really is
wide 3) very easy to hold and handle. The critical bit of the first
shots at 12 mm and wide open showed something I've seen on just about
every other lens, quite independent of the manufacturer- bright blue
fringes on twigs against a light grey sky, this seems to be chromatic
aberration until you look into it with PS CS2 or PTLens, it's blue
but without the corresponding yellow component you ould expect to find.
As far as I can tell so far it only really starts becoming a problem at
f4 and 5,6, and only when your looking at enlargements (200%) of the
image, and it's only at the edges of the frame.
Distortion is negligable (slight at 12mm), vignetting too. As to
sharpness and contrast, it was getting near dusk when it arrived, so I
need some bright weather to check these out.
So, as soon as it stops raining and blowing it's off into town to find
some nice buildings, Christmas Markets and such - more when I've got
some pictures.
Cheers
Douglas
Technical stuff : FL range 12-24 (18 to 36mm equivalent)
                        Metal construction with polycarbonate outer barrel
                         Metal mount
                        13 lenses in 11 groups (2 aspherical elements)
                        Max.Aperture: f4 (constant)  Min aperture f22
                        Closest focus setting: 30cm (hyperfocal down to
12cm minimum)
                        Length: 89.5mm  Max. diameter: 84mm
                        Filter size: 77mm (non rotating mount)
                        Aperture blades: 9