Subject: [Leica] Would like an opinion
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Thu Dec 8 15:59:41 2005

David,

I had an 80-200/4 VarioR. Performance is superb. Build is amazing. Mine
focused like fine silk. But it's hardly the best in the R lineup.

Major drawbacks. It's only f4. It's expensive. It's Leica R. I
(reluctantly) parted with my R system because the features of other SLRs
were just too much to overcome. Some lenses justify using Leica R. IMHO,
the 80-200 isn't one of them.

The other lenses you mention are entirely different beasts. I compared
the vario to an 80-200/2.8 ED AF Nikkor, which is a stop faster, AF and
no slouch.

DaveR