Subject: [Leica] Salgado' S work
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Dec 4 23:38:54 2005

On 12/4/05 4:11 PM, "Bill Smith" <wrs111445@yahoo.com> typed:

> Yesterday I had the privilege to see a rather extensive showing of
> Salgado's
> work in a suburb of Seoul, Korea. To say I was overwhelmed is an
> understatement. His sensitivity to the poor human condition of some and
> indeed
> suffering on several continents and ability to record it on film (?) on
> powerful portraits are amazing.
>
>   I will never forget many of those haunting images.
>
>   Bill

And subjectively talking about Sebasti?o Salgado is actively ON TOPIC as
he's a Leica shooter. Cameras, lenses, lens caps - a sucker for the whole
Leica Schmear. Leica Fingerprint. Not all the smeary of a finger print
though.
I saw a bunch of his large exquisite prints a couple years or so ago which
he has done by exquisite people other than himself and that's ok and I
thought that sure the subject matter is great and he manages to do stuff
which has the verisimilitude of originality to it or at least is well under
done. His stuff has the overall feel of a master.
You can NOT LIKE the work of Ralph and himself but you'd have to acknowledge
that master feel to it. HMV. (His Masters Vision) Ansel.

I felt that when I was looking at from a technical point of view, print
making, A fine print, sharpness and so on had an extra edge to it that was
not a Fig Newton of my own imagination but had
supercalifragilisticexpialidocious written all over it.
Palpable. Although I don't eat that part.

The culprit being Leica glass. These prints and also I guess I've seen lots
of Ralph really do make me feel for sure that I'm not wasting my time and
money fooling around with this Leica stuff.
It does really give on an edge image quality wise. A leg up.
Woof.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon