Subject: [Leica] Retro Blast... Now sharpness and contrast.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Dec 1 12:57:22 2005

> Ted Said:
>>>Olden-times they didn't have the lens options we have today and I bet
> there are lots of photos >>from those days that don't look so hot when
> we'd look at them with modern day photographic eyes, >>expectations of
> sharpness, contrast etc.

Sonny responded:
Subject: RE: [Leica] Retro Blast... Now sharpness and contrast.

> I deal in old photographs every day, and with the exception of sun or
> light faded items, most pictures are fine for contrast and sharpness.
> > These for example:
> > http://www.nsula.edu/watson_library/MelroseProject.htm
>
> In the 20's and 30's film speeds were much lower than today, and many
> lens apertures were in the f5.6 - 6.3 range.  Tripods were frequent
> companions because of these factors, but were just as cumbersome as
> today; thus many photographers in olden days (like Ted ;-) could out
> hand hold any of us in a slow exposure.<<<<<<<

Hi Sonny, yer too kind good sir. ;-)

What I meant was "in-relation to the Leica lenses of the olden days compared
to the modern day wonders most of us work with these days." :-)

There I think I clarified my meaning and will probably have stepped in it
some other way. :-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road