Subject: [Leica] Haor Frost and Waxwings
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Sat Nov 26 12:14:15 2005

I offered:

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/Waxwing_2.htm
http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/Waxwing_3.htm.

and Adam Bridge wrote:

>I like the composition in _2 very much - the color juxtaposed against
>the hoar-frost (or is that snow?) on the branches is very striking. I
>hope you print and frame that one!
>
>Adam

G'mornin' Adam!

Thanks for your kind comment. ;-)  It is indeed hoar-frost, though that
has been replaced, today, by a foot of fresh snow!

And, yes, I will be framing that one.

I've gotta admit, though, that I took 40+ shots of that flock, and only
about 5 were worth using...  hand holding a camera (even with a monopod)
with what is effectively a 1200mm lens at -10? is a lot harder than
you'd think!    Either the birds moved, or  the wind moved the branch or
I moved (shivered).  No matter what the cause, the DOF is remarkably
small... and the failure rate is correspondingly high.

But, if you're not fast... this is what you often get...

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/Waxwing_4.htm

Still, the ones that work are worth the effort.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

--
David Young,
Logan Lake, BC