Subject: [Leica] A night shot of Fremont, a neighborhood of Seattle
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Nov 23 15:46:57 2005

On 11/23/05 9:18 AM, "MARK DAVISON" <davison_m@msn.com> typed:

> Mark Rabiner asked:
>>
>> DO you have "Spot" with your R1D1?
>
> No, the R-D1 has a "wide" spot like the M6.
> I usually shoot the R-D1 on (aperture-preferred) auto-exposure. It appears
> to give more precise exposures this way.  At night I crank in -1/3 or -2/3
> exposure compensation to make the shadows go dark on purpose.
>
> Curiously I haven't found the in-camera spot meters on my Nikons (D100 and
> F100) very effective for night shooting--they stop working when the light
> level gets too low.  The only camera I have whose spot meter reads out when
> it's dark is my old OM-4Ti, which has other problems (the shutter often
> fails to trip when it's cold and damp out.)
>
> Mark Davison

I've used my spot meters on my D100 at night and refresh my digital zone
system chops which seems pretty close to color neg. anyway despite what
every one else thinks and says. It all seems to work out do you think you're
not hitting middle grays to meter by or not placing your tones zones right?

But the main thing is if the first exposure doesn't work out then I can
tweak it to perfection on the second shot. And I feel like I've learned
something. And my soul doesn't rot. And if I reframe I don't have to start
from scratch.

And again I'm developing chops with help me out when I do use film cameras.
None of mine have a little screen on the back.

Unrelated question. They have tethered medium format digital and large
format with real time viewing I guess by why can't they do with with smaller
formats. Or do they?

I want to be tethered. And throw away the key!!

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/