Subject: [Leica] OT: Sometimes robots make great snaps
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed Dec 21 07:36:56 2005

Richard,

I like space shots, but one of my favorite telescopic photographs is a
panoramic terrestrial, The images were shot from Lick Observatory. (For
some reason 8" refractor sticks in my mind, but I don't know much about
telescopes.)

The photographs show the Coast Range in the foreground, the Sierra
Nevada in the background, and the San Joaquin Valley (where I grew up)
in between. Amazing DOF for a long tele. Lots of interesting things are
visible, but you have to look closely. It's not obvious where the pano
series was taken, but it blows people away when I point out Half Dome.

It's a really clear, crisp panoramic. I think they used a tripod. Just
as impressive, the images were stitched the old fashioned way, in the
darkroom. I've had the photograph (12"x48" silver print, not litho) for
years. I wonder if you can still buy that particular print.
DaveR