Subject: [Leica] A night shot of Fremont, a neighborhood of Seattle
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Nov 22 15:21:00 2005

On 11/22/05 9:59 AM, "MARK DAVISON" <davison_m@msn.com> typed:

> I've decided to take Mark Rabiner up on his suggestion of shooting more at
> night. Seattle is suffering right now from an atmospheric inversion which
> has created a stagnant air mass and strange light fog. This makes for eerie
> atmospherics.
>
> Here's a shot of the Fremont Bridge, looking down from the sidewalk of the
> Aurora Bridge. Epson R-D1, Leica 35/2 Summicron ASPH, iso 1600, 1/20 sec,
> -.3 exposure compensation. Folks, it's dark out there!  You can quickly see
> why a Noctilux could come in handy. There's not much space on the bridge
> sidewalk for a tripod, and the bridge is constantly vibrating from all the
> traffic.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/Night-shots/EPSN7291_Fremont_bridge_and_ship_ca
> nal
>
> Mark

WOW GREAT SHOT but WHICH one is the Freemont Bridge?!??

I live at the foot of the Fremont bridge down here in Portland.
Perhaps the other foot lands in Seattle in a slightly different time warp
continuum (only at midnight on a full moon when the fog gets very dense).
I get lots of nice shots of this Fremont bridge (if it's really a different
one) with the cars and the fog and the flags and the vibration and the moon
once in the background.

So you're effective focal length, Mark D,, is 53mm! You FORGOT to mention
that!!!?!
I don't have a 35 to use digitally but love how my 28's become minutely
close to true normal (just like me) 42mm babies.  Only -1.3 millimeters
away.*
But for bridge shots no you need that oh so slight tele effect.:)

DO you have "Spot" with your R1D1?

I've been doing more and more tricky shots on Manual. (M)
Its often faster and gives me that SMUG feeling I love to have. And I feel
like what I'm "learning" can get transferred to when I shoot film. As with
film you can't shoot a P and tweak till it looks great on the monitor after
a shot or two. In other words "Pixel Polaroid's".
You'd have to use the real, smelly chemical gooey paper, environmentally not
so great ones.

I think everyone should do this with the Fremont bridge in your town.

*
The filter's recessed and made to stay
A cool,
clean