Subject: [Leica] Hi end digi Rental
From: imagist at imagist.cnc.net (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sun Nov 20 10:20:56 2005

> From: Philippe Orlent <philippe.orlent@pandora.be>

> But about not being able to work with the best material thus digital
> medium format backs: why don't you rent one when you need it? Over
> here it's become an accepted part of the client's budget, replacing
> the former development costs etc.

Hi Philippe, I have rented the upscale digibacks when the client desires
and the budget allows. And those are the times I see the difference and
I fall into insane lust. However, what feels weird about the transition
is that up until the recent decade I've been able to have daily access
(as in ownership) to the best optical/mechanical equipment. Now it
appears impossible to afford. The newest mf backs won't work on my
500cm. So now I have to not only rent the back, but the body and lenses,
which really pushes the rental costs up significantly; at which point I
can't compete (budget-wise) with the studios who own the equipment. The
studios that can afford to price lower can amortize their investment by
shooting huge amounts of catalog work. I choose not to go for volume,
large studio space and employees. Been there. Done that. For one person
to support the hi-end habit requires an exceptional clientel. Ah well.

regards, George