Subject: [Leica] #395
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Fri Nov 18 06:20:23 2005

> Beautiful interior! Everything is correct vertically and horizontally
> illustrating the talent of a photographer who knows how and when to make
> use of a super wide lens.
>
> It doesn't get any better than this for wide angle use. The 15mm is one of
> my favourite lenses for shooting interiors and travel photography.
>
> There isn't any distortion because of a super wide lens like this....
> "when the camera and lens are correctly used!" I suppose one might say,
> "well there's distortion because the angle is so wide."  Of course that's
> nonsense, as long as the camera and lens are perfectly correct, all the
> lens does is give one a different point of view and seeing.
>
> Distortion occurs because the photographer doesn't hold or mount the
> camera correctly. That's one of the reasons I have a small level in my
> camera bag to put on top of the camera , usually the hot shoe to make sure
> the camera is right on the mark straight.

But a extreme wide can be used, I often did, in a more creative way
without tripod or bubble levels. Let me show you a picture -14mm with
film camera- of the Saint Peter in the Vatican where the "baldaquino" or
baldachin, the big cover  made with brass by Brunelleschi -if my memory
is OK-, and the huge dome behind. Hand held of course, I sincerely
believe this is another architectural use of extreme wides.

Regards.

Felix

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] #395)
Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] #395)