Subject: [Leica] Yay or nah?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Nov 16 09:35:31 2005

David Cochran asked:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Yay or nah?
>>> Ted, are you neutral on this one?<<,

Hi David,

I have no idea who shot this, even if I did it wouldn't make any difference
as my remarks would be the same. :-)

It was one of those offerings I quickly looked at and deleted! :-) However,
I noticed there appeared to be a fair amount of chatter about it, then came
your post. So I'll give my quick candid comment after looking at it again.

There was possibility and if the photographer had taken a slightly higher
stance and got over the blob of clothes out of the way there's potential for
an interesting picture.

However, he didn't! So my first re-action to delete was correct!;-)  The out
of focus bundle of clothes, bed sheets, whatever, is about the worse thing
you can do when it hides the main body of a potentially interesting
photograph.

This falls into the human eye seeing only the main body of the potential
photograph and the photographer not looking at the scene harder for
"distracting elements" sticking in the sides or puffed up at the bottom.

If he had seen it and pushed the "blob down" and out of the way it would've
been an interesting photo.

As is? Delete it! File 13 no question! Too bad and all that sort of stuff.
But it just doesn't cut it and that's life in the cruel world of good
photography. I know someone will, can or might make all kinds of excuses why
it "works," well horse hockey, it doesn't! No matter how one cuts it.

The shooter saw this emotionally and not photographically proper!

You asked! ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from cochranpr at mac.com (David Cochran) ([Leica] Yay or nah?)
Message from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Yay or nah?)