Subject: [Leica] A Noctilux and Velvia ...
From: jblack at ambio.net (John Black)
Date: Tue Nov 15 13:13:41 2005

> Hi John,
>
> Have more faith in Leica's lens design shop my friend.  The spectral
> separation you are seeing in the multicoloured light, is from a
> multicoloured light!  That was the source of the coloured blobs that
> are whizzing across the walls of the bowling alley.  The slow shutter
> speed ensured they moved during the exposure.

See! The peripheral aberrations in the Noctilux are so bad that it causes
white lights on the wall to separate into primary colors when you point it
at it.  You just THOUGHT there were colored lights up there. Bet if you put
the lenscap back on the light would revert back to white ;-]

Well, it sure looked like a prism effect. I use the Noctilux in some
situations (usually inside under dim, artificial lighting) mostly in B&W but
I really do see oof light sources markedly coma shaped out towards the edge
of the image. It doesn't bother me, it's just the price we pay for speed.
The image center, in focus, is mostly aberration free with just a little
softening. I personally wouldn't want to have an f/1.0 lens that performed
like f/5.6...  too brutal...

JB

Message from jblack at ambio.net (John Black) ([Leica] A Noctilux and Velvia ...)
Message from rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra) ([Leica] A Noctilux and Velvia ...)