Subject: [Leica] The "Undisputed Champion" of the World of 35mm format glass!
From: lambroving at worldnet.att.net (William G. Lamb, III)
Date: Sat Nov 12 20:23:52 2005

Mark,

Hmmm... Chicken or egg? Hard to say. There have been prototypes of the 75/2
for at least seven years. Possibly these prototypes gave birth to the
50/1.4 ASPH,
but only Solms insiders who aren't talking might know. Obviously, there is
a wider
market for a fast 50 than a 75. As you observe, they are brothers. Both
have glass
designed in the old Leitz Wetzlar lab, both focus with a moving element,
and both
have a unique rendition of textures and colors and are sharp from corner to
corner.

Here's a tight, shallow DOF shot with the 75/2 at 2.8. Maybe you can see
what I'm
saying? <http://gallery.leica-users.org/album279/LUG151?full=1>

Nothing equally tight with the 50/1.4, but you can see the textures and
colors in
this shot which is familiar to a few here. Also taken nearly wide open...
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/Dulles-Air-Space-Museum/LUG85?full=1>

You decide...

William

BTW, both are compact, the hoods don't block the frame in the viewfinder and
both have a short throw and snap into focus with excellent ergonomics.