Subject: [Leica] The "Undisputed Champion" of the World of 35mm format glass!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Nov 12 15:10:05 2005

I forgot which came first the brand new cutting edge state of the art pie in
the sky APO-SUMMICRON-M f/2/75 mm ASPH chicken or the SUMMILUX-M 50 mm f/1.4
ASPH egg.

In the last decade Leica keeps upping the ante on what would probably be I
think partly because of faith in Erwin, partly experience and partly
knowledge of the photo world we live in The "Undisputed Champion" of the
World of 35mm format glass.

And before that there was the
The APO-SUMMICRON-M 90 mm f/2 ASPH.
The SUMMICRON-M 28 mm f/2 ASPH.
And before and before and before in roughly that order.

I thought a basic rule way before reading Erwin of lens design what that the
"Normal lens" was the sharpest and easiest to make. Which always had a true
ring to it for me.
But you always here of 105's or 100's or other short teles as holding such a
title.
I'd think it was not true and that the title would go to a 50.
So by rights of the laws of nature The "Undisputed Champion" of the World of
35mm format glass should belong to the SUMMILUX-M 50 mm f/1.4 ASPH.
Although the 75 could break even as its a stop slower and not having near
ultra fast glass problems.

Anyone here have both lenses and what to weigh in? I'm all ears.
Anyone without both lenses want to gleefully BS to death in a most erudite
way?

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon