Subject: [Leica] PAWS AND COMMENTS!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Nov 12 14:27:50 2005

B. D. Colen showed:
Subject: [Leica] PAWS

> http://gallery.leica-users.org/B-D-COLEN-PAW/Antiabort111205_14bw
> And following five images.<<<<

Hi B.D.,
Covered just like a news assignment should be. The message is meanigless
because covering an event such as this means it's a "news event" therefore
you must be neutral. Other wise you let your emotions get in the way and you
miss interesting photographs and end up shooting  signs.

It's the visual aspect that you are there to shoot! Sure a sign or two is
OK, providing they're interesting as "photographs," not just the signs for
the sake of the sign message! Of course sometimes one is so unique it does
make a good photograph.

I mean, one hardly need attend these events anymore, just go to your files
from the past, pull out some frames, print them and it's the same thing.;-)

My favourite is the hands and rosary, it's a simple subject made very
interesting due to the use of real and shadow. It's small items such as this
that many people miss because they get hung up in the message and don't see
the small things that make interesting photographs.

Cropping:
Picture 1:
I'd have cropped the sun out completely right to the top edge of the poster
centre. At the bottom I'd have done a similar crop, cut the bottom off right
at the tip of the sign straight across. In this way you tighten up the image
and get rid of distracting elements and make better use of the print size.

Picture 2:
Shadow use is great! If you cropped the top off right to almost the head of
the person on the right, would've got rid of the sky area that's waste space
anyway. Then burn down the top corners, to lessen the eye catching that
drags your eyes away from the power of the shadows!

And make sure you don't burn those corners too much, because if you do then
the darkened area becomes obvious and it back fires, then the black becomes
an eye draw because it looks phoney!

Picture 3:
Rosary, I commented.

Picture 4:
This is just a sign picture and doesn't do anything. Sure these young girls
think they've got a mesage because they're holding a sign, but their
expressions are all over the place.

I'd have gone tight on one face and one sign rather than this composition
where you have the waste space showing sky between their heads. It works
like this: "One girl, one sign equals stronger message when shot tight!" The
three faces actually become a distraction.

picture 5:
This has some potential but you need to burn down the highlighted figure on
the left side as ones eye jumps right there at first look. Then you have to
come back to the message. Actually some of the reflected light would've been
very helpful here!

And I think a tighter crop taking away as much off the right side, as we
look at the picture because once again it's waste space and does nothing for
the picture. Maybe even turn it into a tight vertical.

Picture 6:
Obviously she's OK with you taking her picture, so in that case, I'd have
asked her to hold the sign higher to her chin, that tightens up the frame
first of all. Then if it didn't make her squinty, I'd have turned her
slightly to her left to make better use of the light. Given it didn't make
her squinty-eyed.

Even though I see a woman holding a baby to her left, she's not that
important in the picture, I might have tightened the crop and got rid of
her.

If we're talking news paper use here, there isn't any space to waste,
period! Shot tight, crop tight, maximum impact is what these type of events
are all about!

Over all well seen and executed. With good light use in most cases.

Your welcome. ;-)

ted.

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] PAWS AND COMMENTS!)