Subject: [Leica] Re:OT enlarging lenses
From: creativevisions at verizon.net (creativevisions@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Nov 11 12:48:37 2005

Hi Ben,

I have collected 50mm, 80mm, 100mm and 150mm from the major manufacturers
over a span of 30 years.
You would be surprised by some of my findings.

Some of them are at their optimum when only stopped down 1 stop.
Most are at their best 2 stops from maximum aperture.
One of the names which seems to be left out most of the time is Minolta.
Their 80mm f5.6 C.E. I found to be every bit as good as the comparable
Schneider, Rodenstock and Nikkors.
Eugene Smith also liked this lens a great deal.
Ansel Adams preferred the APO-Nikkors. These were slow (f9.0) but in a
league of their own.

Take care,
Mike