Subject: [Leica] Digital FIBER prints
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Fri Nov 11 04:28:09 2005

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> If one craves one daily fiber like I do the way to fly might
> surprisingly be
> digital and inkjet desktop.

Inkjet prints can be fantastic. The issue is DMax and when I've
compared my own prints: air dried DW glossy fiber on one hand vs.
"fine-art" matte inkjet (e.g. Hahemuhle PhotoRag, MOAB Entrada or
more recently RedRiver Dourian) the main difference is that the
inkjet prints even when using MIS Eboni black ink, have a somewhat
lower DMax. This is both visible and can be readily measured.

If one switches to "RC" type inkjet papers whether they be semi-gloss
or glossy (e.g. Epson Premium Luster) and using the new Epson K3
inks, the Dmax is now slightly *higher* than a DW fiber silver print
-- the issue remains that these papers have more of an "RC" look than
a "Fiber" look.

Regarding longevity using any of the 100% rag inkjet papers and using
any of the 100% carbon ink formulations (e.g. MIS UT7 or Piezography
K7) -- it should be measured in the hundreds of years i.e. longer
than a typical silver print.

For people looking to experiment with carbon inkjet printing at a
very low cost of entry I suggest using the Epson C86 printer loaded
with the MIS "EZ" inks, EZN is neutral black and EZW is pure carbon
and has the slightly warm graphite color.

Epson K3 on premium luster is also incredible (the Epson 4800 can
print 16x20s).

Life is full of tradeoffs.

Jonathan