Subject: [Leica] tree at 1/15th
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Nov 3 14:31:53 2005

Sony showed:
Subject: Re: [Leica] tree at 1/15th

Hi Sonny,
The crop created a completely amazing effect, quite beautiful actually.

Now you've on several occasions explained a wind effect of disaster and
we've seen the results, well let me tell you ours this morning. ;-(

Victoria and area can be windy at times, no hurrican force but a good solid
blow! Enough that one dosen't want to do the Mary Poppin's thing with an
umbrella if you're outside.

Well about 7.30 am. a more than usual blow and I thought I should get my 20D
and try some slow motion tree shots like Sonny. I went down stairs to the
office to get the camera, there was a hell of a bang-crash and I bolted up
stairs to the back doors.

Lo an behold the near 100 year old Oak tree had shed a major portion of
oversized limbs and branches onto the neighbours house!!! Like OOPS! Sorry.
Damage effect 10! The young fellow living their was sitting near the window
that blew in and was covered with shards of glass. Fortuanately no injuries.

So I feel we've, you and I, have had sympathy pains so to speak. :-)

The out come at the moment? I don't have a clue because there's a pile of
wind damaged homes around the city and trying to get advice from insurance
people, apart the first insurance guy who said... "Oh it didn't come down on
your house?"  "Well really it's an act of God wind storm,  therefore your
neighbour will have to pay the cost of repair and all clean-up!"

Now I'm of mixed feelings, glad to hear that! But sick at heart because wind
and God, whatever, it was my tree and shouldn't I or my insurance firm be
responsible for the repair and clean-up costs? If not what the hell's the
point of having insurance.

Which leaves me wondering, if everything came down on my home would the
insurance company say... "oh dear me, an act of God! Surprise you pay for
everything yourself!" :-(

Looks like I need to have some serious conversation with these guys before I
too get stuck with some kind of shafting "it's an act of nature!"  You pay
the bill! ;-(

ted