Subject: [Leica] Canon 5D
From: alan_weinschel at yahoo.com (Alan Weinschel)
Date: Sat Oct 22 09:59:14 2005

Em 10/21/05 5:02 PM, "mcyclwritr@comcast.net" <mcyclwritr@comcast.net>
escrivou:

> "Let us reflect," he said in photographic context.
>
> The 5D is a FULL-FRAME digital body with an easily viewable 2.5" LCD
and it's
> "not much better than a 20D." So you were expecting $8000 1Ds Mark II

innards
> for $3300? Given the 20D's happy following, I'd say "any" improvement

is a
> bonus.
>
> Bonus No. Next: The 5D offers Leicaphiles the option of using at
least some
> R-Series glass in addition to all the Canon auto-focus stuff.
>
> -Chris Lawson
>

>> I bought a 5D and took it back. Not that great of a camera. Make
sure you try
>> it
>> out first. Including downloading the files to have a look at. Even
with post
>> processing I was disappointed. Really not much better than a 20D
except the
>> files are larger.

I disagree.  I just went from a 20D to a 5D. The improvement is
noticeable. Viewfinder far better.  Crisper images.  Full coverage with
wide angles. As I am used to 35mm, having the full frame makes it much
more comfortable in terms of framing images and "seeing" in a
particular way. Is it a substitute for a Leica? No.  But it is a very
good tool if you want to be digital and already have Canon lenses --
which, by the way, are not bad at all.  I took it to England a couple
of weeks ago and found it easy to use and was extremely pleased with
the images. The comparisons to Canon 1Ds are not silly.  For less than
1/2 the price you get slightly fewer MP, full frame sensor, but not a
pro sealed body.  That's what I call a pretty nice compromise, and I am
very happy with it.

Replies: Reply from phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong) ([Leica] Canon 5D)