Subject: [Leica] pixel resolution for photos on a TV screen (OT)
From: durling at cox.net (Mike Durling)
Date: Thu Oct 20 17:30:45 2005

The actual pixel dimensions of standard definition are 720x486, but --
These are not square pixels if this makes sense.  What I always do is if
it is a 'fullscreen' picture I start at 720x540, cropping as necessary
but keeping the proprotions the same as the original then cropping.
Then resize to 720x486.  The picture looks a little off, but will
display correctly on the tv screen.  If it is a wide-screen, standard
def picture then start at 864x486 then resize to 720x486.  It will
definately look wierd squashed on the computer screen.

Hi def has either 1280x720 or 1920x1080 pixels depending on the system.
  You won't have to do anything to the aspect ratio to get it to display
properly.

Obviously it helps to know in advance how they will display it.  Few
people get this right, but if you ask first then follow these directions
your pics will look good.

Mike D