Subject: [Leica] Advice needed: Buying Leica IIIf and 50mm lens
From: smcj35 at yahoo.com (Colin J)
Date: Wed Oct 19 06:50:49 2005

I am a very enthusiastic user of two Leica M7
bodies, a Minolta CLE and and nine lenses (seven
Leica, 2 Voigtlander) shooting mainly black and
white and Kodachrome 64 slide film.  I shoot
travel and architectural subjects and weddings
for a living.  I have a digital SLR but work
almost entirely with film.

I need to fund a film/slide scanner and re-equip
my darkroon following purchase of a Focomat V35.
So I will be selling one M7 and the Minolta CLE.

However, I still want to use two bodies and am
considering buying a screw mount Leica body and a
50mm lens.  I would also use this body with
Voigtlander 12mm and 15mm lenses.

Is it viable to use a 50+ year old screw mount
body for paid work?  Is it possible to get
reliable, repeatable results from a IIIf?  I ask
about the IIIf because it seems good value, with
black dial versions selling at very attractive
prices.

Would there be a better choice than a IIIf?  What
would I need to do to ensure that a used IIIf
could become a reliable professional tool?

I also need advice on which would be a good
choice of 50mm lens.  I currently use a
collapsible Tele Elmarit (Leitz Canada) but would
be selling this and buying a good screw mount
50mm.

I will be grateful for any and all constructive
comments.

Colin J

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/