Subject: [Leica] New 12.8 megapixel 5D. Leicanon! :-)
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Oct 18 13:22:14 2005

At 12:11 PM -0700 10/18/05, Ted Grant wrote:
>FWIW:  5D Leicanon.  :-)
>
>Hi crew,
>Having just had a solid look at the Canon 12.8 megapixel 5 D camera
>full frame bright screen and Leica R lenses (About 5 Grand cheaper
>than the DMR) I have to say, move over quickly Leica as the train is
>thundering down the track and it ain't stopping or slowing down
>waiting for your digi back!!!! And given the price of the 5D body
>against the DMR I could buy two 5D's and have all my leica R lenses
>at my beckon call at full 35mm frame use! :-) Now that's a major
>positive right off!
>
>Manual focus is what we as Leica Users have done since time began
>and the Leica glass in many cases is why we use Leica's and have
>done so for 40 plus years and then some.
>
>For those who jumped to the 20D and use Leica lenses with an adapter
>(the Leicanon) and have been successful with the smaller sensor, now
>you can have a full frame 35mm format and get the max out of your
>Leica glass.
>
>Where we've captured excellent images from the 20D, this one now
>allows full frame use of the super wides and all the rest as though
>on an R8-9 or other R bodies.
>
>Much like using the 20D, everything is right at your fingertips and
>the viewing screen seems enormous, somewhat like the viewing screen
>on the Digilux 2.
>
>It would appear if one wants to get into digital and you have
>several R Leica lenses and wish to stay with them, this camera is
>well worth looking at!
>
>I'm not saying this is better than or compares to the DMR, as I
>don't think anyone has done that kind of trial yet. But I'd bet a
>shilling or two it will happen and many Leica shooters are going to
>be absolutely surprised.
>
>I mean many of us who've used Leica lenses with the 20D can well
>attest to the excellent image reproduction with this combination.
>Many of us have found without question the Leica lenses far superior
>than anything Canon.
>
>Look at it this way, if you have a dozen or so Leica R lenses and
>would dearly like to use them shooting digital, but just can't get
>your head around using a smaller sensor... IE: 20D, then the 5D can
>tied you over and learning lots about shooting digital until your
>DMR arrives sometime during the next 12 moths or so.
>
>And when it does you'll have lots of experience and can leap right
>into the DMR with great passion blazing away to your hearts content.
>Then you can sell your 5D or as I'd expect of many, you'd keep it as
>a back-up camera, after all it is full 35mm frame or as a companion
>to the DMR if you work with more than one camera at a time.
>
>Nope I have nothing to do with Canon, it's just what I see on the
>street and should or could be of help to some R users not
>financially fit to buy the DMR at twice the price of a 5D!
>
>That's all folks. :-)
>ted

Hi Ted,

Have a look at what it takes to use some of your Leica-R lenses on a
full-frame Canon:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/267995/233

Might be worth it, but maybe it's time to practice with your Dremel
on some cheaper Canon film Rebel first! :-) ...and have a shot of
Lagavullin to steady you first.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design