Subject: [Leica] Learning a language!?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Oct 16 14:52:24 2005

With the Leica Historical Society about to meet in San Fran but next year
very amazingly possibly meeting in Wetzlar. (that's across the ocean)
It strikes me that some of us may be getting into "learn other language"
mode. German in that sense. To be a registered hard core Leica nut it never
hurts to know some German. Knowing a lot helps more. I took German every
Tuesday in 4th grade with Mrs. Kleinsorgen. The rest of the class took it
Thursday as well but the speech therapist thought my New York Accent was a
speech impairment..
This was the north shore Chicago and I was "Mork from New York".
Or she thought I was cute.

O tannenbaum, o tannenbaum, wie treu sind deine bl?tter.
Du gr??nst nicht nur zur sommerzeit, nein auch I?m winter wenn es schneit.
O tannenbaum, o tannenbaum, wie treu sind deine bl?tter.

Herr Google:
O fir tree, o fir tree, as faithfully are your sheets.
You to the summer time, no also I'm winters if it does not gr??nst only
snow.
O fir tree, o fir tree, as faithfully are your sheets.

In a variety of languages, certainly not just German we learned:
Everybody loves Saturday night.
Everybody loves Saturday night.
Everybody, Everybody, Everybody.
Everybody loves Saturday night.

German
Jeder liebt Samstagnacht.
Jeder liebt Samstagnacht.
Jeder, Jeder, Jeder.
Jeder liebt Samstagnacht.

Spanish
Todos ama la noche de s?bado.
Todos ama la noche de s?bado.
Todos, Todos, Todos.
Todos ama la noche de s?bado.

French, which I took in high school
Tout le monde aime samedi nuit.
Tout le monde aime samedi nuit.
Tout le monde, Tout le monde, Tout le monde.
Tout le monde aime samedi nuit.

Italian
Ognuno ama la notte di sabato.
Ognuno ama la notte di sabato.
Ognuno, Ognuno, Ognuno.  Ognuno ama la notte di sabato.

Portuguese
Todos ama a noite de s?bado.
Todos ama a noite de s?bado.
Todos, Todos, Todos.
Todos ama a noite de s?bado.

Japanese (beta)
????????????????????????? ??????????????

Korean (beta)
Everybody ??? ?? ????.
Everybody ???  ?? ????.
Everybody ? Everybody ? Everybody.
Everybody ??? ?? ????.

Chinese simplified (beta)
??????????????????,  ??, ?? ?????????

 I recall the "s?bado" came earlier in the sentence. These are not ringing a
bell.
And the Asian stuff I just threw in there thanks to Google and the Asian
fonts in my Mac G4 with system X.

It's the Portuguese I'm into now. The one that starts with
"Todos ama a noite de s?bado."
This I guess will help me when I track down the Leica factory in the area.
And sing and play Antonio Carlos Jobim songs on guitar I already know some
of the tricky (69) cords.

But my question is....

How does one learn a language nowadays if one is 54 years old and has a
Leica M system?
A. DVD's?
B. ON line in a chat group?
C. Hire cute Portuguese gal to have espresso with you every morning and talk
Portuguese?
D. CD's playing in your car. Or as I don't have a CD player in your car:
E. tapes:
F. Or stuff you can import into your iPod?
G. Or walkman?
H. I forgot.
I. all or none of the above.

The technology overwhelms me but I bet for such a thing would make a great
difference.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon