Subject: [Leica] First living Creature launched into Space? Trick Question.
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Sat Oct 15 13:44:27 2005

SonC@aol.com wrote:

> To further muddy the creek, the dog was Laika
>
> http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/StarChild/space_level2/laika.html
>
> There  was an acting dog named Leica. In  "The Life Aquatic" with Steve
> Zissou (2004)  "Cody" is played by "Leica the three legged dog" (!)
> regards,
> Sonny

I heard a tale, apocryphal probably, that the first living creatures to go
into
space were actually launched by the US (von Brauin) on a V2 in the late
forties
and were Fruit flies; the idea was that they vB et al wanted to see if they
could survive the shock of launch. The idea being to monitor the container
in
which they sat. Didn't care what happened to them after they crashed I
suppose.

Have no way of knowing whether it is true or just an early cold war hangover
;-)

Peter

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] First living Creature launched into Space? Trick Question.)