Subject: [Leica] FOM2
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Mon Oct 10 17:46:17 2005

On Oct 10, 2005, at 5:25 PM, Alastair Firkin wrote:
> Thanks Graham,
> I feel a bit the same about the FOM2 project. Weighted down with
> LUG mail, fascinated by the fragile surface of humanity which is
> quickly peeled away by e-mail immediacy, tired of hearing about
> street photography technique but not seeing any results, and
> stimulated by the original exhibition book, I challenged the group,
> including the "big-names" to come out in an anonymous setting and
> compare images. Put your money where your keyboard is.
>
> 5 years later, I'm amazed that it is now winding up. I look at the
> standard of images coming in from those who have been there since
> 1999 and am amazed at the improvement. I think we will have far
> fewer pros submitting this year: they have all gone with the pixel,
> no Kyle, no Ted, no Tina, no Sandy so far, and yet the overall
> quality of the images is IMHO as good.
>
> Now I would love to see images from all our "pros" again in this
> year's mix, but I'm sure they can be proud that they have helped
> raise the standard and make it even harder for them to get a vote.
> All of them were happy to help out in the mentor programme, helping
> others to review and edit their images.
>
> Anyway, you might be interested to know there are 3 publishers and
> one exhibit organizer interested in FOM2, we have been asked to
> supply images for a spread and story on the project in the Readers
> Digest --- I'm not saying any of this will come off, and I'm still
> waiting to hear from Aperture about interest, but it could be a
> good end to some great times and good fun.

FOM2 started for me as a stimulus, an inspiration, with my hope being
to learn to produce a technically good image, of something
meaningful.  One goal was to have an image included in FOM2. To be
included with others that I considered not merely excellent, rather
excellent and profound.

The five year project has more than satisfied this purpose. The
stimulation, learning, and wonderful images I have seen...have been
powerful medicine.

I want to thank you Alastair for initiating this project, guiding it,
and having such an impact on me and others....

Steve

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] FOM2)
Message from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] PAW : The Early Years :-))