Subject: [Leica] Canon 5D. Initial impression.
From: mcyclwritr at comcast.net (mcyclwritr@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Oct 5 08:25:03 2005

I can see how a 5D could become a pro's main camera.

I was working (overseeing) a studio shoot recently and the photographer was
using a Hassleblad with a digital back tethered to a Powerbook. We were
capturing multiple expressions of models in fairly quick succession and the
Powerbook would gag after several 42MB images were stuffed into its Firewire
port. Which sorta' brought the whole in-the-moment feel to a grinding halt
while we waited for the Mac to catch up. Among the intended uses of the
images were bus cards (big) and billboards (bigger) in the city formerly
known as New Orleans. So, one could make a case for large, digital files.

Now, I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of file size relative to
printed image size, but I'd think the 5D's 12-somethingMB, full-frame image
would hold together pretty well even at 30x40. Then there's smaller size and
lighter weight to consider when the 5D jumps from the tripod and hangs
itself around your neck. Which is a very long way of getting around to the
thought: if you don't really need an all-weather brute of a motorized body
or massive files, why burden your body and your hard drive?

The 5D's full-frame sensor is what appealed to me. For much less than $8k,
my wide angle lenses no longer have to live in shame as normal focal length
lenses. Nor will I have to walk so far away from my subject (not that I
couldn't use the exercise). My portrait length telephoto now behaves like a
real 85mm with respect to shallow depth of field.

I haven't been on the list for a few months, so I don't know the latest on
Leica's digital back, but I think R-lenses on a 5D could be worthwhile if
the wait continues.

-Chris Lawson