Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 37: Sailing around Friesland with a fellow LUGger
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Thu Sep 29 10:32:57 2005

Nathan - I cannot tell you how much I envy you this sail on such a
wonderful traditional Dutch thin-water boat.  I feel like I know that
territory from having re-read "Riddle of the Sands" at least a half
dozen times but would have loved to actually sail there.  That's a
beautiful little boat, too.  It just glows with the loving care its
owner gives it.

I hope you had a great time despite the weather.  Great pix, too.

B.T.W., if I'm not mistaken, isn't that sailboat type with that rig
actually called, yes, wait for it,... a *lugger*?

>(snip)...and the boat:
>http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_37alt1.jpg
>Michiel explained to me that this kind of traditional boat is
>becoming quite rare since they are expensive to buy and maintain.
>They are built especially for the shallow waters of the inland seas.
>The one we were using dates from the 1920s. It has many beautiful
>details, like this:

(snip)