Subject: [Leica] Back focus distance
From: ccstirkjr at yahoo.com (Charles C. Stirk Jr)
Date: Mon Sep 26 06:33:26 2005

I came acrossed this at
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/R1/R1A3.HTM seemed to
be relevant to the whole M8 digital hope ....

"While a live LCD viewfinder display is a nice feature,
it's actually not the biggest benefit of the Sony DSC-R1's
design. It turns out that eliminating the large mirror box
required in digital SLRs conveys huge optical benefits to
the lens system. What's involved is reducing the
"back-focus distance" of the lens, which makes it much
easier to reduce chromatic aberration and other optical
defects. The illustration at right shows a cutaway view of
a typical digital SLR. The green arrow highlights the
distance between the rear lens element and the sensor
surface. (Image courtesy Sony corporation.)

As noted, back-focus is basically the distance between the
rear element of the lens and the surface of the imager, and
has much to do with how difficult it is to engineer the
lens system for low chromatic aberration and other
distortions. One way to understand this is to consider that
the lens has to "project" the image across the gap between
the back of the lens and the sensor itself. It makes sense
that the smaller this distance, the more accurate the
"projection" would be.

In a conventional SLR, the minimum back-focus distance is
set by the space required for the rotating mirror assembly.
SLRs built on conventional 35mm bodies typically have
back-focus distances of 30mm or more, while special
digital-specific lenses (like Canon's EF-S series) have
back-focuses of about 20mm. By contrast, the R1's optical
system has a back-focus distance of only 2.1mm. This should
translate into noticeably lower chromatic aberration at
wide angle focal lengths, and in fact, we saw very little
chromatic aberration with the R1 our test shots. (There was
a small amount of chromatic aberration present, but it was
quite a bit less than we'd normally expect on a high-end
"prosumer" digital camera.) The DSC-R1's lens also showed
considerably better corner sharpness than we're accustomed
to seeing from cameras in this price range."