Subject: [Leica] That 50
From: paul at paulhardycarter.com (Paul)
Date: Mon Sep 19 05:03:30 2005

Why one lens? For me it was a conscious decision to simplify my work.
If you stick to one lens you don't have to worry about which lens to
use for the shot. If it works with your lens, it's a picture. If it
doesn't there's no point in thinking about it any more. Move on.

One lens means I can concentrate on my four principles - composition,
focus, exposure and timing. Fiddling about with different lenses or
bodies just slows that process down. It may well be that I'm just too
clumsy!

Why a 50? I don't like the altered reality you get with wide angles or
telephotos. I want the drama in a picture to come from the composition
(including the use of light) and the timing, not optical tricks. Short
telephotos, or long wides, are so close to the standard that you may as
well settle on a standard anyway.

Basicaly, I have given myself the luxury of working the way I want, but
I'm damn sure it wouldn't be right for most people.

P.

*******
Paul Hardy Carter
www.paulhardycarter.com