Subject: [Leica] Depth of field at f/2 (50mm)
From: krieger at usc.edu (Martin Krieger)
Date: Sat Sep 17 21:55:26 2005

Sorry for the last message having no content, I hit Send accidentally.

I have been shooting with the 19mm R lens for so long, I did not realize how
little depth of field one has with a 50mm lens at say 0.6 or 0.8 meters at
f/2--a centimeter or two. Taking portraits of construction workers coming to
work at 6am, shooting at f/2 with 400 speed slide film, I got quite soft
images (and many blurred ones, too!). But then I realized how little depth
of field one has. (I know about focusing on highlights of the eyes, but
there is more here that is of interest.) If anyone has wisdom on this,
besides pushing the film to 1200 and using a tripod, I would be grateful.

Martin Krieger
krieger@usc.edu

Replies: Reply from dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Depth of field at f/2 (50mm))