Subject: [Leica] lighting critique request
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Fri Sep 16 14:35:11 2005

Richard:

> So you are basically using the monolight as a fill flash?

Nope.  Ambient was about 4 stops darker than the flash.

>How do you set up the power output of the light. Do you just dial in way
>down? How do you meter?

Aimed the flash through the umbrella.  It still reflects a bit behind the
strobe, too, just like if you were using an umbrella for reflected light
only.  Some of this light bounced off the white walls, I'm sure.

Pulled my Minolta Flashmeter IV out of retirement, popped in a battery, and
then played around trying to figure out how to use it again.  If I recall
correctly, it had quite a thick manual, but I remember the basic functions.

Took am ambient reading.  f1.  Took flash readings and adjusted the power
'til I was at f4 where I wanted to be.  Took a few more, and decided I need
to be as open as 2.8 further away and 5.6 closer up.  Unleashed the child,
and followed her around the living room.  It was at roughly 1/16th power,
and it recharged in a few blinks of the eye between flashes.

--
Eric
http://canid.com/

Message from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] lighting critique request)