Subject: [Leica] Bill's Scanning Question
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Tue Sep 13 05:50:50 2005

Bill,

A couple of suggestions on scanning:

1. Film scanners are far better to use than flatbeds with adapters. Even
the Epson 4870 which produces very good work is slow as molasses in January.

2.Nikon seems to have done the same thing with scanners it did in the
sixties with slrs, i.e. lead the pack. I picked up my first Coolscan in
1997 and it served me quite well. Just replaced it with a Coolscan V in
2004. Their early software was a bit questionable and tech service even
worse. Still, it is a fairly new medium (digital imaging ) and the new
Nikon software is quite good.

3. If you scan B&W negative be sure to turn off Digital Ice. Also, even
though it might be greyscale  always scan in RGB.

4. *Most importantly.....*rather than listen to me (or anyone else on
the lug) babble away about these things go buy Martin Evening's */Adobe
Photoshop CS for Photographers.   /*I am assuming you have Photoshop. If
not, then disregard everything said so far and get a digital cam.    /*:)
*/

Walt