Subject: [Leica] My PAW: Wk 37
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Mon Sep 12 14:46:07 2005

For this one time I shoot from the shadow side... :-)

But seriously now:

Thanks for your comment, Ted.

I wouldn't dare to compare my work with your son's: I'm not a pro
photographer at all and do not pretend to be one. Professionally I still
work with photographers that are alot better than me and earn their living
with it, and the opposite would be damn plain unprofessional of my part.

Honestly, it was a lucky shot. I made 4 during the show and only this one
was presentable. Didn't move around either, as I should have. I'm not sure
if a full manual RF is the right tool for it BTW: the rapid changing light
conditions and positions of the skaters (covering and uncovering the lights)
demand an AF/AE SLR with at least a prime zoom IMO (if "prime" and "zoom"
can be combined). But then again, the result would have been less a pleasant
surprise.

I think the big difference is that your son's shots are clearly
documenting/reporting, so about accuracy, and mine is more an atmosphere
shot, which gives some more lattitude.
Both lead to another approach of photography, with different objectives, but
the one being as valuable as the other IMO.

Your always appreciating your mails,
Philippe