Subject: [Leica] Tall ships - sepia toned
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Sun Sep 11 11:04:50 2005

I think to imitate Sutcliffe's look, your lens is too good: it should be a
lot softer. Also, looking at his photos, I think the light you shot the tall
ships in was a bit too hard.
So it's not only about shifting some sliders in PS.
I also think the creamy beige you refer to is basically a result of
unperfectioned fixing in Sutcliffe's days: his initial prints would have
been a lot less sepia, I suspect.
However, I did a test on one of your low res color pics, and I think you
should combine different things: tone the overall image as you want to, and
then play with selective colors for the lighter parts (or with color select,
feather and colro balance on that selection)
Some dodging/burning and playing with the levels and curves for contrast
will also be necessary.
And a bit of vignetting imitation ofcourse.
One thing is sure: there are different ways of obtaining a good sepia look,
and the basic duotone funtion of PS will not be enough.