Subject: [Leica] Weird: DMR and TTL works!
From: faneuil at gmail.com (Eric Korenman)
Date: Sat Sep 10 09:22:11 2005

Ok more TTL and DMR:
 Did a portrait shoot this AM of a friend's little boy. DMR performed well
but I need to learn more my new digital existence.
 1) The DMR and R8 tends to blow out highlights in outdoor scenes when there
a full range of direct sunshine and shadows. Found myself needing to
compensate by -1 to -2 stops. Got to wean myself of negative film's wide
latitude.
 2) Flash in TTL mode worked nicely indoors where the flash was providing
the majority of light.
 3) Flash in TTL mode in the outdoors failed miserably. I think my camera
got thrown into some weird mode - Everything was WAY overexposed. Even after
I disconnected the flash I was getting insanely overexposed results. Turning
the camera and DMR off, then back on seemed to fix it.
 4) Camera 'crashed' once. Locked up. I had to remove and replace the
battery. May have been the TTL thing. I am not sure.
 I have shot about 200 exposures since I got back home - without flash. The
DMR seems to be working fine. More testing in a bright backyard makes me
think that I need to underexpose most daylight scenes by -1 stops. In full
daylight, and at zero exposure compensation the histograms show that the DMR
does tend to blow out highlights.
 BTW- I am using the full metering setting (the open rectangle).
 Eric