Subject: [Leica] Summicron-M 35 Lens recommendations?
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Wed Sep 7 02:48:54 2005

Bill

Difficult to compare those lenses as the Canon 2/35 is another
formula, and much faster than the Summaron 3.5/35. Maybe stopped down
to 5.6 they could be compared. What is certain, is that the Canon
lens coatings of this era were superior to the Leitz coatings (less
prone to cleaning marks and fogging).

I know about the 2/35 Canons that there were two builts, the newer
one has an improved formula and fatter letter engravings at the front
side. I have been told from an owner that has both versions, that the
first version does not perform very good wide open, but the second
version is said to be equal to the 2/35 Summicron (1st version).

But seeing the prices for a used second version 2/35 Canon (usually
not below $400) a used Summicron might be the better choice.

More about Canon lenses here:

http://tinyurl.com/9qsjk (Official Canon Museum)
http://canonrangefinder.com/

The indications about production periods of the 2/35 are different on
both websites, I would trust the first one more.

Didier

Message from wrs111445 at yahoo.com (Bill Smith) ([Leica] Summicron-M 35 Lens recommendations?)