Subject: [Leica] #303
From: geebee at geebeephoto.com (GeeBee)
Date: Tue Sep 6 09:14:15 2005

From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@shaw.ca>

Subject: Re: [Leica] #303

> GeeBee showed: his magic eye once again: ;-)
> Subject: [Leica] #303
> > Leica IIIf : 50mm Summitar f2 : red filter : Kodak T400CN
> > > http://www.geebeephoto.com/2005/05303.htm
> >
> Now question?  The black area lower right corner ? My eye and attention is
> drawn back to this part and it shouldn't be. However I took the liberty to
> scroll up on screen and eliminate it just to the point where it
disappears,
> because I didn't want to spoil the vastness of the scene. In doing so the
> field became even greater in size and as vast as a Canadian prairie
> harvested field, like massive for miles.
>
> With the black area in it seems to produce a smaller field size with an
> ending. Without it? See for yourself.. What think you?

----

Hi Ted,

I didn't want shadow in the shot but avoiding it was problematical. There
was a ditch between me (on the road) and the field so I could not get
access. I tried framing with the camera tilted upwards to exclude the shadow
but I was not fond of the increased sky ratio that resulted. Turning to my
left also excluded the dark area but I lost the most prominent lines in the
field.

I could have cropped in the computer but I am getting more and more precious
about using the whole of the frame so I left it in. I told myself that it
gave me an almost perfect black to balance up the predominantly mid tones
:-)

I agree it is a better shot with a better sense of space without the shadow.

--Graham

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] #303)